A Real Estate Professional worth their commission will put a lot of effort into marketing your home. There are more things to consider than just taking a few photos and sending it to the local MLS. (MLS-Multiple List Service-a marketing database set up by a group of cooperating real estate brokers.)
Our local Harrison MLS is syndicated to all nationally recognized listing websites. Realtor.com, Trulia.com, and Zillow.com are three of the more recognizable websites. A listing at Harp and Associates will also be a listing on these websites and others. Your listing with Harp and Associates will be enhanced on these websites.
Tour any potential REALTOR’s listings on the web. See how well their listings are presented using the following list of suggestions.
1. Photograph the Front
- Crop out sidewalks and streets.
- Remove vehicles from driveway / front of home.
- Shoot up-close & angled photos.
- Avoid shade on the house.
- Clear away vegetation blocking front door or path to door.
2. Exterior Photographs
- Emphasize space and shoot long.
- Mow the lawn & trim bushes.
- Remove evidence of pets.
- Put away children’s toys.
- Avoid shooting into the sun.
3. Interior Photographs
- Take photographs of every room. Open drapes & blinds
- Turn on lights.
- Focus on interesting details like the condition of a wood floor or a fireplace mantle.
- Remove trash cans & close toilet lids in bathrooms.
- Avoid shooting into mirrors because your image will reflect.
4. Virtual Tours
- A good virtual tour will grab a buyer by the hand and lead her from room to room, showing a 360-degree view.
- A good virtual tour will be a “live” video tour not just the agent’s still photos put together to music.
- Virtual tours can also include individual photos available for download or to print.
- Try talking to a neighbor, whose home is located at the corner of a busy street, asking for permission to put a sign in that yard with an arrow pointing toward yours.
- Agent signs should include the phone number of the office and the agent’s mobile. The idea being that a potential buyer can call immediately to talk to an agent about the property.
6. Print Advertising
- Local newspapers. You can probably run a larger ad for less money that will more closely target those looking in your area.
- Real estate publications. Homes Guides are generally published quarterly or monthly.
- Every Web site you can find. Listings at Harp and Associates are syndicated so this step is complete as soon as you list.
7. Host Broker / Agent Tours
- Agents who linger in your home will better remember details to later describe to buyers.
- The best way to entice an agent to hang around is food. Doesn’t need to be expensive, sandwiches will suffice. Most listing agents will schedule this type of tour and provide a host, either a financial institution or title company.
- As agents munch and network, the hope is they will admire your home and bring back a buyer.
- In the local Harrison, AR market, agents have found that this type of Open House is more beneficial than general public open house.